Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Role of the TL etc etc

I've been doing alot of reading on the role of the TL, the information literate school community (ILSC) in preparation for the assignment, and as part of the topic this week.

My reading was from COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIAHenri, J. (2005). Understanding the information literate school community. In I. Henri, & M. Asselin, (Eds). The information literate school community 2: Issues of leadership.

I was interested to read in the Henri (2005) article that the main role, the key role for a TL is to support the teachers. Educating the teachers on the importance of being IL, encouraging training and development, supplying the teachers with the information they need is the primary role and where most of our time should be spent. The secondary role, service for the students comes after that, and sort of flows on naturally anyway. By working with teachers, supplying them with info, the students are then helped along in their learning.

I read too about how we used to do school, and actually how some still do, the teacher being the teacher and the student being the learner. But how now there is a shift, or should be a shift, that we are ALL learners, and the students can teach us about things too. Its a bit different to how my old principal ran things, I tried my best to go against that, but I've realised some of her old ways has rubbed off on all of the staff.

2 comments:

  1. It will probably take a whole generation to change the mind-set that teachers are teachers and children are learners. In my school there are quite a few of us studying for our masters, so hopefully others will see the idea of "life-long learning" in progress and jump on the train with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it will take a while to change that mind set, but as we are learning, TL's are agents for change :)

    ReplyDelete