Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A little saddened...

I feel a little sad and crushed after speaking to a TL of another campus connected to the school I work at.
She said her role is basically to provide resources and to provide the class teacher with non-contact time. So the teacher dumps the children off for 45 mins and the TL takes the class. There seems to be little interaction between the TL and the teachers or appreciation for what the TL can bring to the school.
I know our campus is run a little different and because we only have an SSO in the library its not really anything but a borrowing place. I would hope that my Principal will be open to my ideas and views and passions to make our school library DIFFERENT to the other campuses, be the leader in the change!!
Wish me luck :)

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember if you're primary or secondary but I'm assuming primary by the post! My kids have been to 2 primary schools in different towns and both TLs taught the children specific subject areas as well as provided the standard 'librarian' role and RFF. One taught social science and incorporated researching skills, practical skills and learning. The current one teaches technology, researching and problem solving. There's no guarantee of what your school will be like, but at least you can find a lot of other schools which model positive TL roles which you can 'hit' them with ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Primary school :)
    I actually think there is only one other school in town that has a trained TL!!! Pretty bad really... So I'm learning alot from reading other TL blogs and the readings!
    Thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete